Welcome to the RC Airplane World Forum

RC Airplane World Forum

Beginners & Experts All Welcome!

The Beginners Guide To Flying RC Airplanes Second Edition

It is currently 24 Apr 2014 09:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour

#1) 
PostPosted: 01 May 2008 16:08 

Hi there, i bought a fixed pitch electric copter similar to a dragonfly I think? anyways every time i try just to take off the copter either veers to one side within seconds or less or outside the best i managed yet.. i had momentary liftoff then loss of control in a nose down definately not good pitch where i released the control to stop damage. I think the small rotor/ pitch control bit on the main rotor, the two bladed bit just under the main (ok i know but i dont know exactly how to explain) may be wrongly set and other than make it as level and centred as poss i am unsure how it should be? that guess is my best and as i dont want to wreck the lady before i've started i decided to shout for help! I don't have this problem with the virtual heli and i am quite reasonable pilot wise with simualtion jumbo's /737's etc in flight sim, i know heli's are totally different and have had no problems that make straight sence with my input unless the heli isn't set up right, and believe me i have tried really simple just get up in the air stuff that failed. (oh, and i am reasonably good with other rc formats so it shouldn't be completely a me problem)... i hope! Problem is also i am in devon, england and there isn't another heli person in the near vicinity or even close so i can't just ask someone locally. I did try to contact some club's in england but got no real offer of help. so here i am and Help!

Last edited by stuarticus on 12 May 2008 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

#2) 
PostPosted: 01 May 2008 17:49 
Site Admin

OK, first things first.... no need to type your subject all in capitals, it's the equivalent of shouting and it's against the forum rules, which I would like respected, thanks ;-)

That aside, it sounds like you might be experiencing some normal first-time helicopter blues. What's the make and model of the heli? Drifting off to the left is completely normal for little FPs, the thrust from the tail rotor does that. With time you'll get to react to it as the heli lifts off, without even knowing you're doing it!

If you are new to real (not virtual) helicopters then you will lose control very quickly - it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid, they are extremely difficult to control at first, and take a good few hours practice (airtime) to start to crack the hover.
It's very possible that the flybar (the 2 small paddles perpendicular to the main rotor) is not set up right, but I think it's just that this is your first time flying - completely normal.

Have a look through these pages of my site: http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/walker ... fly-4.html, they should give you an idea of what to expect ;-)
Let us know how you get on.

One more thing... how windy was it when you flew outside?

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#3) 
PostPosted: 12 May 2008 14:35 

Hi thanks for your reply, i had no idea about the capitals thing and when i looked at it following your point i saw immediately what you meant, sorry! The day i was outside it was almost totally calm wind wise as i wanted the best chance possible to see what was what, the control problems were quite severe in my veiw but having tried one of those tiny copters with the infra red controls since then, I recon my inputs might have been too strong, i will endevour to keep trying, the other problem i have is that i do not have a good open space which has not got grass on, although for most things thats great, The chopper tail rotor was a nightmare to keep clear before i got to try take off i'm sure that goes for everyone?, i will make a platform once i'm confident i will ever fly with this rig! When the chop did it's un-helpfull tactics the events were quite severe and seemed a lot more than a drift, but i don't have a start point to judge from, i will keep at it and look at the pages you mentioned. i looked at the crazy copter on acid clip put in by somebod , is that real? suppose it has to be,.. but i'd expect the chop to break up way at the beginning, some control though! The copter i have oddly enough is a walkera dragonfly 4! :P

#4) 
PostPosted: 12 May 2008 19:02 
Site Admin

Yeah, you can't really compare an infra-red micro heli to a 4 channel FP.. the amount of control input is very different, with a very different result.
The tail rotor catching the grass isn't good - that will certainly screw things up from the start ;-) You don't need to make a platform though, just lay something hard and flat onto the grass, something like a piece of plywood or something.

It will take a fair amount of practice, but keep at it and it will come. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the heli.

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#5) 
PostPosted: 13 May 2008 07:32 

even real-life-full-size-with-people-in-them helicopters do what you describe. I flew a Robinson R22 a couple of weeks ago (first time trial training flight). The instructor told me 'everyone thinks they will be able to hover, but no-one can' and that it would take about 7 hours of flying time before I could expect to hover successfully.

I have an identical(?) heli marketed under a different name, and mine did the same when I tried to fly it first up, but if you've crashed it hard into stuff (as most of us seem to) do check the rotation holder assy underneath right at the top where it meets the blade holder as one side of mine broke which made it even more difficult to control until I discovered it.

Regards

Michael

#6) 
PostPosted: 23 May 2008 20:25 

As pete said, its perfectly normal for a small FP heli like the Walkera 4 to want to drift left towards the wall when you try to take off. I went through the same and it just takes practise before you can take off vertically without thinking about it. Trust me though, just keep at it and you will in less than a week. The first time you get in the air for more than 8 seconds will give you goose bumps!! Just a tip though. Adjust your flybar paddles and give them about 5 degrees pitch. This will help you learn to hover quicker. You must put them straight again when you are learning forward flight. Also adjust them from the front of the heli and not the side like i did. One had more pitch than the other and i ended up with all sorts of problems and you dont need that when your lerning how to fly. Ive attached a picture to show you what i mean.

Adam.

Attachments:
IMGP2501.jpg
IMGP2501.jpg [ 103.76 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

#7) 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008 02:44 

Hi thanks, after a lot of the same thing i reconed there had to be something more wrong as i followed everything folks said, well not everything, someone told me to.... ok not here! (joke!) So i ended up taking the control appart and swapping the the bits so that the throttle was other way round etc, It was on the right which i found difficult to use, and after more problems i found the wires to the servo's were the wrong way round ! With that amazing realisation it all fell into place, but without the feedback i'd never have realised there was a real problem (as well as my flying skills!) I have followed the set up guide for the walkera in the pages suggested (really well done too! thank you!) and all in all i think i am well on the way to some form of control! thanks again!