RC Airplane World Forum

Beginners & Experts All Welcome!

The Beginners Guide To Flying RC Airplanes Second Edition

It is currently 19 Apr 2014 15:55

All times are UTC + 1 hour

#11) 
 Post subject: Re: Airplane Rudder Gyro
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011 21:11 

I must not have been clear. The gyro is not moving the elevator and airlerons. I had to do that to land the airplane.

When the gyro switch is in the up position at maximum gain the take off was great. When if was at 0 I thought it would be off. There is no compensation, the rudder does not find center and center is randomly defined when the rudder is slowly moved. This makes no sense in any application.

I hope you saw in the video that the centering of the servo gets scewed up when at 0. I'll see if there is a trim I can set to it's lowest position too.

#12) 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011 21:21 

I've never used a gyro on rudder but I have used a 401 on ailerons and elevator which worked great for stabilising a potentially unstable aircraft and FPV aircraft. Personally I can't see the need to connect to the rudder as I rarely use rudder except take off and sometimes landing. Dave Powers at RCpowers.com has done a lot with gyro stabilised planes, might be worth having a look.

http://www.rcpowers.com

Lee

#13) 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011 21:32 

hi lee

the reason for it on rudder is for take off purposes as toms bipe tends to weave down the runway and it hard to keep straight so was hoping gyro would help

tom i got a zoom 400 heli sat in the shed somewhere i'll dig it out and see if i can get the same thing to happen on the tail then i'll know whats going on with your's :)

hey lee its been a while sins i set a gyro but i seem to recall that having zero travel when the switch is in off position is wrong ime pretty sure that i had for example +40% on and -40% off does this sound about right to u with your settings on switch travells

sean

#14) 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011 21:49 

When the rudder is in head lock mode I assume it sould move as the airplane moves. And if the airplane is not moving the gyro and servo would do nothing.

What I don't understand is why the servo would not return to center and find a new zoero or center just be moving the rudder control stick slow vs fast. I have not found any artical to discribe what I'm seeing.

I also found someone describing that the gyro can be affected by the rudder trim. So the rudder trim should be addjusted to stop the gyro drift and the control rod should be adjusted to trim the rudder.

This gives me something else to try.

Thanks for your efforts.

#15) 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011 21:55 

Oh I see now, one thing I've never done is fly a bipe so I can't really comment on its characteristics, my experience on take off runs, and I have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, is the torque effect which tends to force aircraft to the left hence bags of right rudder to kep it straight. I wouldn't use a gyro for that as I prefer to have absolute control on take off and landing stages, only exception and this was a trial, I do a lot of experimenting, I have a feytech FY-21 AP autopilot for the FPV plane and have used full stabilisation mode for landing, bit hairy handing over control to a bunch of electronics but thats half the fun innit :lol:

Thinking about it I can see some benefit using a gyro with rudder and as Toms problem, there is a facility on the tranny for mixing ailerons with rudder to help with turns, have you checked the rudder/aileron mixing is not active, I only mention this as its strange that elevator and aileron move when you apply rudder. Also as Sean said, try reducing the gyro gain. Also, you need to select rate gyro not heading hold.

This might be of interest, a rate gyro for fixed wing planes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6755__Turnigy_TG_380_Aeroplane_Gyro_Channel_Controlled.html

Lee

#16) 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011 09:11 

hi lee

there's not a problem with the ailerons elevator it was miss read by myself there is no interfierence ( guess u miss read too )

u should still have full control because when u use rudder stick it replaces gyro control therefore control should be the same, gyro should only work when stick left at centre

sean

#17) 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011 14:07 

I played with the radio setup again last night.

I reversed the channel in the radio.
I zeroed the trims.
At this point the light was on in both switch positions.
I changed the end point setting when the switch was down to 6. From 0-4 the light was on, from 5-10 the switch was off, from 11-140 the light is on again. It's odd I don't see this happen when the channel is not revesred in the radio.
I then moved the switch up and set it to 140%.
I played with the delay and limit but found they had little impack on how the rudder worked.

I believe now that I was taking off in rate mode and the rudder peared to not recenter in head lock mode.
When the light is off there is no movement or noise from the servo as I move the airplane around. The rudder responds correctly moving the Tx stick fast of slow. It always goes to center.

When the light is on the the rudder will rotate as I rotate the airplane. It does not rotate back until I rotate the airplane back. It holds it's position. Preveisly it would onle turn the rudder when the airplane was moving. It would center when then airplane stopped moving even though it was pointing in a different direction.

It still does not find center by it's self anymore. I need to flip the switch to recenter the servo.

It's function is much different then it was before. I think I have the rate mode disabled and the head lock mode enabled. I also found that I need to turn the reciever on unit on when the Tx switch is on. In head lock mode.

I'll play with it more to see if I can enable the rate mode and disable the head lock mode.

#18) 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011 10:53 

hi toms went through my radio today checking my zoom4oo heli settings then checked your vid about the settings on your radio
the travel on mine is +70 on lock and -70 in rate am i right in thinking u have +140 on lock and +0 in rate
something i did notice on my heli too is the servo is acting in a simular way to your plane,when locked if i move tail it dont allways centre when i stop but when not locked it goes back this is same as yours but the difference i get is the amount of travel because i get full travel in both modes, but i do swing the heli tail quite rapid so maybe thats the reason u dont get the travel , is it compensating the amount of movement u make only.

just try and swing it quite rapid see if it acts any different

ime still thinking u have your travel to high at 140 tho (remember this is gyro chanel and this is for gain only not travel adjustment watch that jet vid theres a good example of to much gain on there its when the control surfaces go all twitchy then he turns his travel down (gain) and it sorts that problem out

the delay should always be at zero it is just has it says a delay (for the servo) and u dont want your servo to delay
the limit is also has it says it (limits the travel) so when u have your plane switched on and u adjust the limit u should see your rudder move?

sean

#19) 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011 16:47 

I didn't get to try the gyro again. The weather went from 97f to 63f and it was windy. One day you don't want to go out becuase it's too hot and the next it's too cold.

#20) 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011 18:20 

blimey just like where i live

sean