RC Airplane World Forum

Beginners & Experts All Welcome!

The Beginners Guide To Flying RC Airplanes Second Edition

It is currently 24 Apr 2014 13:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour

#11) 
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 17:49 
Hi guys,

There are a few tricks (if we can call them "tricks") that can help the fliers in their early experience.

They are more the result of experience out of experimentations like we had to do in the early days of RC.

One of those is the throw on the elevators. The throws we get from manufacturers or distributors are typical for intermediate and advanced fliers but can create problems for beginners.

I suggest setting the elevator throws at about half of recommendations and increase the throw as experience is gained.

Another method if the transmitter has the capability is to setup the exponential for much reduced action near the neutral and higher action as more Tx stick is used.

The travel limit can be set and used on the transmitter if it has that capability.

Yes, I know that some may disagree with this approach but some may also have forgotten their early tribulations :lol:

Even some full size airplanes are built (designed) to be gentle and friendly at stall. A Cessna 172 is an example of a plane that the throws and area on up elevator is not sufficient to fully reach beyond the stalling angle of the wings. Keep the nose going straight (no turn) with the rudder and the plane will simply mush down without dipping a wing.

There are tricks also for judging the approach speed and attitude on a straight in final approach (when used).

KILOP

#12) 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009 21:59 

Hello again...
Thanks for the tip about the control surface throws. I definitely need to increase the rudder throw. The rudder is quite small for this size of plane (I think). Reading about the real Catalina, they increased the height of the vertical stabilizer and the rudder on later productions models.

#13) 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009 22:12 

Here is a couple of the repairs and additions I have had to do, and a couple of pictures. So far I haven't repainted any of the damage, just put it back together. I kind of like the "battle wounds" although I may repaint these areas later.

In one "rough landing" (aka crash), the wing broke off and the propeller cut into the side of the cockpit.
The plywood that the wing anchors to with screws was only glued into the top of the foam. I added an "X" brace of 3/8 x 5/16 balsa post inside to anchor it to the main plywood in the fuselage. (sorry, no pic of that repair). The front damage was from the time she didn't clear a fence. Ooops.
Attachment:
Nose.jpg
Nose.jpg [ 22.3 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

On two occasion I broke the wing float off. First I added an angled truss to support it, then I added an outer "X" to support it laterally. I tried to make the "X" somewhat scale.
Attachment:
Wing Float.jpg
Wing Float.jpg [ 19.19 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Attachment:
01 CWH Canso Water Bomber .jpg
01 CWH Canso Water Bomber .jpg [ 55.57 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Here is where she resides between flights.
Attachment:
Airplane storage.jpg
Airplane storage.jpg [ 17.4 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]
Attachment:
Airplane storage (2).jpg
Airplane storage (2).jpg [ 38.41 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

#14) 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009 00:15 
mcflyer wrote:
Hello again...
Thanks for the tip about the control surface throws. I definitely need to increase the rudder throw. The rudder is quite small for this size of plane (I think). Reading about the real Catalina, they increased the height of the vertical stabilizer and the rudder on later productions models.

Hello Matthews,

Some considerations on the rudder throw.

There is an angle of rudder rotation that is optimum.
It varies with the rudder shape and its airfoil.

Obviously the rudder is there to produce a side wise force.
To realize what I said above (optimum) if the rudder is rotated 90 degrees it would produce lots of drag and little side force.

The most efficient side force usually occur around the 40 to 50 degrees of rotation. If more force is needed it is quite obviously the use of a larger rudder area.

It is also an advantage to have some area in front of the hinge line which helps to reduce the forces on the rudder pedals. The servo in our model case.

There is a genral knowledge that a scale model is not considered by most pilot to be sensitive enough to the controls. Many pseudo scale models have enlarged tail surfaces compared to the proportions of the full size.

Some experts will explain that in terms of the Reynolds number.
Such explanations does not change the observed behavior or the desire by many to have more efficient control in the model.

Pilot of models generally like to tear the sky with constant maneuvers done rapidly. Full size planes do not fly that way.

I like the pics of the Catalina in prominence in its hanging location.
My favorite model is hanging in a similar way in my downstairs rec room.

Regards always de

KILOP

#15) 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009 11:16 
Site Admin

Nice collection of cameras and lenses Matt - another hobby??

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#16) 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009 16:53 

Pete wrote:
Nice collection of cameras and lenses Matt - another hobby??

Yes, another hobby. I suppose I am a bit of a collector (although my girlfriend may prefer the term "pack rat"). My favourite camera is an early 70s Pentax SLR, but I'm not using too much film these day. Digital is just too convenient. I will have to try to not "collect" too many planes. They take up more space.