RC Airplane World Forum

Beginners & Experts All Welcome!

The Beginners Guide To Flying RC Airplanes Second Edition

It is currently 24 Oct 2014 18:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

#1) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 07:37 

Hi folks,

I've built a Great Planes .40 size Piper Cub many years ago. I still have the plans and I like to get them enlarged to build a 3.5 -ish- scale Piper (2.80 m wingspan).

I plan to use a 56cc double cylinder gas engine on it.

Main changes to the original plan would be: using a dedicated servo for each aileron, 2 piece wings for easy transport, push-pull rudder, scale landing gear.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I obtain new plans for the project?

Regards,

Cem.

#2) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 09:54 
Site Admin

Hi Cem,

I've never enlarged to that scale before but I see the wood sizes (stringers, spars, rib thickness etc.) possibly becoming an issue on the bigger plan? There are loads of 1/4 scale Cub plans and kits out there, why not just go for one of those? :)
In fact Jeff P has recently completed a 1/4 scale Cub so he'd be a better one to advise...

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#3) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 10:32 

Pete hi,

Good question!

The answer is: even in kit format transportation is the issue. I have to pay more than the kit to get it posted to Turkey - and the dealers here are not stocking everything. I just couldn't find a kit I like.

Like you say; thicknesses will increase but I thought I might use the measurements from the enlarged plans.

Another question: I plan to cover the plane with silk and coat it with finishing resin. An alternative for covering is DOP. Which one do you think would suit better?

Cem.

#4) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 13:52 

Enlarging that much would not be a problem as long as you take all wood thicknesses into account and adjust as needed. If you can have the plan enlarged you can measure the thicknesses directly from the plan and use those measurements for your supplies. I would probably add some extra plywood to the firewall using the engine you mention, I would go up to at least 1/2" in order to add the strength you would need.

I used Solartex for my Cub and it looks really nice. It is fabric, yet it stretches nicely around curves and tightens up really well. After covering you can paint it with clearcoat and it really looks nice.

A few weeks ago I was flying the Cub when the engine died. I had to bring it down in some tall grass and weeds that were so tough they would have shredded the covering on my other planes. The Solartex did not have a mark on it. I love the stuff, but I sure wish I could find a distributor in the US that carries all of the products the company makes.

Attachments:
Cub-2.jpg
Cub-2.jpg [ 96.39 KiB | Viewed 1245 times ]

#5) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:05 
Site Admin

I'm a Solartex fan too Jeff - years ago I had a couple of vintage (non-scale) planes that I used it on, it really is a good covering and widely available here in the UK. Did you fuel-proof yours? It's not necessary and of course adds weight, but the texture can hold the dirt mixed with the oil film over time; fuel proofing makes the cleaning a bit more effective.
Sorry Cem, going off-topic a bit there...

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#6) 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:15 

Hi,

Good tip on Solartex, thanks Jeff! I might order some rolls when I start building. Have anyone tried Oratex, is it as good as Solartex? Here we only have Oratex in stock.

Oh, I surely will reinforce the firewall :roll:

Cem.

#7) 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010 16:44 

There are several different names the "tex" goes by depending on where you are apparently. As long as it is fabric it should be the same stuff. Here's a link to their web site. http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/default.aspx

Pete, I have not clear coated my Cub yet. I was actually trying to find someone in the US that sells the Solarfilm Clear Coat, but I have been unable to find any. Since it is flammable they can't "post" any as you Brits say. I'll need to find something similar I can use.