Welcome to the RC Airplane World Forum

RC Airplane World Forum

Beginners & Experts All Welcome!

The Beginners Guide To Flying RC Airplanes Second Edition

It is currently 16 Apr 2014 09:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

#1) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 19:02 

My 11 (alomost 12 yr old son) wants an RC Airplane. I am wondering what is the best for him to start with. I have NO CLUE when it comes to the RC Airpalnes. Are they all made out of Foam? How well do they hold up to crashes? Are the replacement parts expensive? Gas or Electric?

Can someone guide me in this, please. I am looking to purchase one by the weekend of Feb 11th.

I think this would be a GREAT hobby for him (and me too). Something we can do together and outdoors (better than him being in front of the tv with video games on beautiful weekends). (I am a Single mom)

Deb

#2) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 20:14 

Hi Deb You've come to the right place for help. There are several beginners as well as members with experiance.

I don't have any foam electric airplanes but I think that one of these might be best for you and your son. They are usually complete right from the start.
Balsa airplanes and glow fuel (gas) airplanes can be a bit intimidating and are a bit more exspensive and tend to be larger.

Many on this forum have started with an airplane from Hobbyzone called the Champ. It is a small electric airplane that might be a good choice for you. Hobbyzone sells replacement parts if needed. Many repairs can me done with foam safe glues too. I'm sure there will be other members that will be giving their thoughts.

These smaller airplanes can be flown in a school yard or many parks. Sometimes larger airplanes or ones with a glow fuel (gas) engine you will need to find an RC club in your area.

Finding a club in you area may not be a bad idea. Members of the club can help get your son started with fewer crashes.

Computer simulator softwares are also a great learning tool. Phoenix or Realflight are great. Realflight offers tow versions one that is limited at a lower cost and is still great for learning.

There are some brands out there that look good in price but are imported for a quick sell. There is no support and instructions are poor if included. For sure it's a struggle you don't need at this point. Drop us a quick question and we'll let you know what we think.
Feel free to ask anything you want or if you need help understanding something.

Where are you located? Do you have any local hobby stores near by?

#3) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 20:34 

Pete who runs this forum also has great info on Airplane World web pages.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/beginn ... lanes.html

Did you see the RC flying FAQ post?
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2200

#4) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 20:57 

I read the FAQ for beginners. I'm sure there are some Hobby Shops near me, I am in Lawrenceville, GA. As for clubs not sure if any..... My son attends a Private Boarding school and is only home every other weekend and Holidays. I'd like something to start with that no more than about $100. Just want it to last through the the beginners phase if crashes!
That includes me flying it as well! (or trying to fly)

#5) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 22:22 

Clubs in the US will want you to goin the AMA which will set you back $60. It's secondary insurance if something happens. They also have a park flyer membership for less. It's not necessary but club will want it.

Does he have any experiance with RC cars?

#6) 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 22:54 

I little experience with RC Cars. More with Video games. Trying to find something we can do together outside the house and away from the distractions of TV, Internet & Video Games.

I am looking to invest in a Beginner Airplane and go from there... If he takes to it and develops it into a hobby, then I'd have no problem joining a Club and paying membership dues..

Any suggestions on What Airplane to begin with? Budget is around $100 give or take a few dollars.

#7) 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 00:52 

Mini Super Cub
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/ ... Z4800.html

Champ
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/ ... Z4900.html

I'm sure others will add suggestions

#8) 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 11:03 
Site Admin

Hi Deb, welcome! :)

It's great that you want to get your son in to rc flying, as you say it's sooo much better than sitting in front of a TV!

Tom's suggestions of the Champ and Mini Super Cub are spot on, exactly what I would have suggested for his age. You won't find a better value deal out there (either of those) from such a reputable brand, and a complete range of spare parts is available for both those planes. A foam plane is more durable and can take more knocks than a balsa one, so I'd recommend going with foam for the time being.
One of the big questions is - where do you intend to fly, because that's going to influence the size of plane.

By the way if your son is good with the video games then he shouldn't have too many problems with the co-ordination and reactions needed to fly a plane, but like anything new it will take practice.

As Tom's already pointed out, this forum has its fair share of beginners and experienced flyers, so if you need to know something just ask - there's plenty of beginner-friendly help on tap here ;)

My site is rc-airplane-world.com, a beginners' guide to radio control flying.

#9) 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 14:38 

Kudo's on getting him away from the Video games!!! It's sad to see the way today's youth is being wasted in front of a game console. My stepson was brought up on them, and now, at 14, it's almost impossible to get him outside. :(

he won't even play with r/c's. :(

get him outside (you too), and enjoy what the good Lord gave us!!!

BTW, I use tower hobbies. Great deals and fast shipping!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXXSP8&P=0